Why Go Solar in Maryland
From large-scale projects to residential solar, Maryland’s solar-friendly renewable energy portfolio standard is only making the solar industry more impactful in the state. ADT Solar is the Maryland solar company of choice for residents who want to take full advantage of the state’s net metering policy, the federal tax credit, and the ample additional incentives for solar.
In fact, Maryland is projected to add 1,161 MW of solar to its renewable portfolio over the next five years. Even better, solar pricing in Maryland has dropped 4%, which means that now is the best time to consider switching to solar in Maryland.
Quick Facts About Solar in Maryland:
- There’s enough solar installed in Maryland to power 175,708 homes
- Maryland has invested $3.8 billion in solar energy
- Maryland is in the top 20 at #18 for solar energy in the United States
ADT Solar provides affordable solar panels, solar power systems, and rooftop solar panel installations in Maryland. Let’s learn more about solar power savings in Maryland.Free Solar Quote
Are Solar Panels Worth it in Maryland?
Let’s dig a bit deeper into all the great reasons why people in your neighborhood, across the state of Maryland and the rest of the world are switching to solar energy to power homes and businesses.
- Decreasing Costs – The costs of solar panel installations have come down significantly. Solar panels have fallen in price by more than 80% in the last ten years, and the 26% federal tax credit and net metering laws in Maryland make solar an excellent investment.
- Solar Technology Improvements – Solar technology has made huge strides in efficiency and longevity too! More efficient solar panels mean that each square foot of solar panel can produce even more solar power. This is extremely important for rooftop installations with limited space for solar panels.
- Improved Home Value – A solar panel system does more than lower or eliminate your electric bill, it is also an asset that increases your home’s value!
- Tax Credits – The federal government gives out a significant tax credit for those who install solar panels to their home. The rate is locked in at 26% until the end of 2022. After that, it will drop to 22%, then will become completely unavailable.
- Solar Powered Battery Storage – If you’re concerned about power outages, now is a great time to consider a solar battery backup as an add on to your solar energy system. Solar energy batteries, like the Tesla Powerwall, will take any extra solar power your panels produce and store it for you to use later. So even when the sun goes down, your home can run on clean, green energy.
- Environmental Concerns – As concern about the environment grows, people are looking for ways to reduce their impact on their surroundings. You can decrease your carbon footprint while increasing self-sufficiency by installing solar panels on your home.
Maryland Solar Incentives, Tax Credits, & Rebate Programs
With exemptions to cut down costs, rebates and net metering for solar customers, Maryland is a state made for solar. Maryland has solar-friendly policies, numerous credits, programs and incentives for solar customers, including:
- Maryland Sales Tax Exemption
- Maryland Property Tax Exemption
- Federal Solar Tax Credit in Maryland
- Local County Tax Credits
- Maryland Solar Rebates
- Maryland Net Metering
- Maryland Backup Battery Tax Credit
- Maryland Clean Energy Grant
- Maryland SREC Program
Maryland Sales Tax Exemption
If you’re worried about the cost of solar panels keeping you from installing panels on your roof, Maryland has a solar energy sales tax exemption to help cut down the costs. Your purchase of solar panels and equipment will be exempt from sales tax. This means that Maryland’s 6% sales tax cannot be added onto purchases of solar energy equipment.
Maryland Property Tax Exemption
Not only do solar panels save you money, but they also add value to your home.
On average, solar panels add $20 of value for every $1 you save on your electric bill. So if you saved $200 a month on your electric bill with solar panels, you’d have an additional $4,000 of value added to your home.
But if you’re worried about increased property taxes as a result of this added value, worry not! According to Maryland law, solar panels are completely property tax exempt. That means all the increase in value without having to pay additional property taxes for the solar panels installed on your home.
Federal Solar Tax Credit (ITC) in Maryland
If you’re going solar in Maryland, there’s yet another giant cost-savings credit: the Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC) offered by the United States federal government. This federal tax credit is available to Maryland homeowners and business owners and provides a 26% tax credit of the entire solar system cost, including a battery system.Free Solar Quote
Local County Tax Credits in Maryland
Federal, state and local — all levels of government in Maryland offer tax credit incentives toward your investment in home solar. In the participating Maryland counties with solar tax incentives, apply for a tax credit toward the costs of your solar system materials and installation. Your county’s local solar tax credit is then applied to your property taxes.
Which Counties Offer Solar Tax Credits in Maryland?
- Harford County Solar Tax Credit
- Anne Arundel County Solar Tax Credit
- Prince George’s County Solar Tax Credit
- Baltimore County Solar Tax Credit
Maryland’s Solar Rebate Program
When homeowners in Maryland have complete clean energy systems to power their homes, they qualify for Maryland’s Solar Rebate Program. The program is provided by the Maryland Energy Administration and offers residents with solar power a rebate up to $1,000 for solar panel systems.
Maryland Net Metering Opportunities
Maryland electricity rates are uncomfortably high for most residents, so the state has required investor-owned utilities to offer net metering to customers with solar power. When your solar panels produce more energy than you need, net metering makes it so the utility company will pay you for the extra energy — all at the retail rate of electricity. Net metering in Maryland is a great incentive for those customers looking to add battery storage. Keep reading to see how you can save on your backup battery, too.Free Solar Quote
Maryland Backup Battery Tax Credit
True energy independence occurs when you combine high-performing solar panels with a backup battery to store your energy. Maryland lawmakers instituted a battery backup tax credit of 30% of your installed costs up to $5,000. This means you’ll not only receive a solar tax credit from the federal government, but an even greater tax credit savings on your purchase of a backup battery in Maryland.
Maryland Clean Energy Grant
Since many homeowners in Maryland show concern for the upfront installation costs associated with solar, the state has issued a residential Clean Energy Grant program. For Maryland residents who go solar, this incentive provides a rebate of $1,000 per solar system installed to help reduce the initial setup and installation costs.
Maryland Solar Renewable Energy Certificate (SREC)
Maryland has an especially unique offering for residents with solar power: Solar Renewable Energy Certificates; also known as SRECs. In Maryland, the SREC program is designed to reward people for switching to clean, renewable energy. Maryland has a solar renewable energy certificate program that rewards people for switching to clean energy. Here’s how it works: for every 1,000 kWh of solar energy your pv system produces, you receive 1 SREC to use toward shortening the time it takes to pay off the solar installation costs.
Solar Panel Installation: How to Choose a Solar Company in Maryland
Choosing a solar contractor in your area can be intimidating, which is why it’s helpful to remember the three most important tips when choosing a solar panel company.
- Make sure the company you’re choosing has warranties in place. Not only on the labor, but products as well. That way you know you and your investment are protected in the years to come.
- Read reviews about the company you’re choosing. While you’ll see a bad review here and there (just the nature of open reviews), make sure a large majority of the reviews aren’t negative and stating the same problems over and over. That’s a clear indicator of a company to stay clear of, no matter how well known their name is.
- Choose a reputable company that’s been in the game for awhile. Again, this way you are sure to protect your investment with a company that will continue to be there for you in the years to come.
Solar Installers In Maryland: ADT Solar, Trusted Solar Company
Since 2008, ADT Solar has a proven history and reputation for providing quality service, and was ranked #2 for 2021 Solar Power World’s Top Residential Solar Installer in the United States. We are proud to offer some of the best warranties you can find in the solar industry and only use products that offer the same.
- 25 Year Labor Warranty
- 25 Year Production Guarantee
- 25 Year Solar Panel Manufacturer Warranty
- 25 Year Enphase Microinverter Warranty
- Thousands of happy homeowners
- Free Home Energy Audit
- Roof replacement experts
Free Solar Panel Quote For Maryland Residents
If you’re ready to take the next step, or even if you’re considering what it would take to get you there, contact us to discover all your options.
We install solar and roofs in the state of Maryland. Contact us today to see if we service your area and get free solar quotes for your particular needs.Free Solar Quote
See What Our Customers Are Saying
Darius Goodin – ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Recently the ADT Solar team came out to do my panel installation. They showed up when they were supposed to and ready to work. They reviewed my initial design and saw where they could move more of the panels to the south side of the house which would increase my production. They made the plans and consulted with their engineer and he agreed. They completed the install with no problem and improved my planned output potential. I would highly recommend them.