Solar Panels in San Bernardino California
San Bernardino is a cultural hub, home to the very first McDonalds, Coussoulis Arena, and the Robert and Frances Fullerton Museum of Art, as well as many more theatres and stadiums. If you live in San Bernardino or surrounding areas, you may have heard about solar panels from your neighbors, as solar energy is expanding rapidly throughout California in the last several years.
While it’s true that solar panels may cut costs on your monthly electric bills, you’re more likely to save money when you install with a reputable solar company. At ADT Solar, we design our solar panel systems around your home’s energy usage to make sure you’re maximizing your savings and power output.
ADT Solar, Trusted Solar Company in San Bernardino
Since 2008, ADT Solar has a proven history and reputation for providing quality service, and was ranked #2 for 2021 Solar Power World’s Top Residential Solar Installer in the United States. We are proud to offer some of the best warranties you can find in the solar industry and only use products that offer the same.
- 25 Year Labor Warranty
- 25 Year Production Guarantee
- 25 Year Solar Panel Manufacturer Warranty
- 25 Year Enphase Microinverter Warranty
- Thousands of happy homeowners
- Free Home Energy Audit
- Roof replacement experts
Are solar panels worth it in San Bernardino?
San Bernardino, and all of California, is one of the best places in the country to go solar. Why?
- California is the nation’s leader when it comes to solar power.
- California has the largest number of solar installs in the nation (over 1 million).
- California ranks 1st in the nation in terms of total installed solar capacity at 28,471 MW.
- California has the highest percentage of electricity generated from solar (over 22%).
- California is first in the national growth projection of solar energy (SEIA.org).
- California is also the nation leader in blackouts, with over 4,297 blackouts within the last decade. (2018 Eaton’s Blackout Tracker research)
Top Reasons to Go Solar in San Bernardino CA
Going solar in San Bernardino is a great investment. You want to know the top reasons we think so? Let’s countdown the top 7 reasons.
- Electricity prices. California energy prices are around 29% higher than the national average, with an upward trend over the last decade. In comparison to the rest of the nation, the change in California electric prices over the years soared well above the rest of the nation.
- Sunshine. California, on average, has plenty of year round sunshine that can be used to convert to energy. With around 275 days per year of sunny days, California is a prime location in the U.S. for installing solar panels.
- Blackouts. California has the most amount of blackouts in the nation, clocking in over 4,000 in the last decade, and climbing (Eaton).
- Solar mandate. As of 2020, solar is now mandatory on every new home built in California. Don’t be left in the dark when everyone else on your block is harnessing the power of the sun, especially during all those blackouts.
- Clean environment. Renewable energy is good for the environment: it produces no waste in the air, oceans and land like oil and gas. California is one of the most progressive states in the nation for renewable energy policies, and ranks second only after Washington for installed renewable energy capacity.
- Advanced technology. As with any other technology, the more it develops, the more affordable it becomes. The solar technology field has made huge advancements over the last few decades, making it more reliable, affordable and more appealing than ever. Whether it’s the newest solar panel technology, or the Enphase Encharge and Tesla Powerwall batteries, you’ll be satisfied with your purchase. Choosing a solar installer (like ADT Solar), who only uses the latest technology with the most reputable brands will give you peace of mind in your investment. Plus, it puts the power in your hands with advanced app monitoring technologies.
- Solar incentives. California has state-wide solar programs that make the investment of going solar worthwhile. Take advantage of local utility rebates, the 30% federal tax credit and net metering: a program that allows you to sell back your unused energy to the utility company. Make the utility company your customer and reduce or zero out your monthly electricity bill.
San Bernardino Solar Rebates, Solar Incentives, and Tax Credits
The best incentive for going solar in San Bernardino is the federal solar tax credit (ITC), which is 30% through 2032.*
The other incentives that make solar a good investment in California are: state-wide net metering, property tax exemptions, and an increase in your home’s value. Let’s find out more.
California Net Metering (NEM) for San Bernardino
If you’re wondering about San Bernardino solar rebates, you’re not alone. While San Bernardino county doesn’t have its own solar rebate program, the utility companies participate in the state-wide program of net metering.
NEM 2.0 is California’s generous net metering program, which is part of the reason you’ll start to see the investment in your solar panel purchase This was put in place in 2016 by the California Public Utility Commission.
It works like this: for every kilowatt-hour (kWh) of solar electricity you feed into your utility company’s grid, you get a bill credit for one kWh of utility-generated electricity. This means that with the right size solar system, you can drastically reduce, zero out, or come out with a negative electricity bill each month.
If you live in San Bernardino, you’re most likely using Southern California Edison for your energy. SCE has a great net metering program, you can learn more about it here.
Federal Solar Tax Credit
The best solar incentive available in San Bernardino, and most everywhere, is the Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC) offered by the United States federal government. This federal tax credit is available to California home and business owners and offers a generous 30% credit of the entire solar system cost, including a battery system.
To take advantage of the 30% federal income tax credit, you need to have your solar system installed by the end of 2032. This 30% credit is retroactive to projects installed in 2022 before passage of the law. The tax credit will drop to 26% for solar energy systems installed in 2033 and 22% for installation projects completed in 2034.**
Solar Panels and the Value of Your Home in California
Not only do solar panels save you money, they also add value to your home.
On average, solar panels add $20 of value for every $1 you save on your electric bill. Translation: for every $100 saved on your bill = $2,000 additional value to your home. (According to a comprehensive report done by the US Department of Energy and National Renewable Energy Laboratory.)
Solar panels help your home sell for more.
Another study (Department of Energy and Berkeley Laboratory) showed that homes with solar panels fetched a higher asking price than those without. About $4/watt, which comes out to be around $15,000 for residential, depending on your home and solar system.
And, help your home sell faster.
In addition, solar panels can help your property spend less time on the market. In another study done by NREL, they found that solar properties earned about 17% more at closing, in addition to selling 20% faster.
Property Tax Exemption for Solar Panels in California
Another great reason to go solar for California residents is that solar panels are completely property tax exempt. That means that, unlike some other states, you can add solar panels to your home and get all the benefits without having to pay additional property taxes.
(Under the Property Tax Exclusion for Solar Energy Systems, 100% of the assessed value of the solar system is exempt from the homeowner’s property taxes.)
Solar Batteries and Protection from Outages in California
With the issues of climate change causing more wildfires and natural disasters in California, you may be looking for peace of mind when it comes to blackouts. It makes sense that residents of California (the Blackout Queen) might be on the hunt for alternatives rather than reliance on their utility grid for power. The answer is a solar panel system with a solar battery backup like the Enphase Encharge and Tesla Powerwall.
There is even more good news for California when it comes to solar batteries. Unlike in most other states, California offers a generous incentive for adding a battery to your solar system.
How do you take advantage of this incentive? Talk to a Solar Sales Specialist about your options.Free Tesla Powerwall Quote
How Do I Choose A Solar Company in San Bernardino?
Curious about how to find the right solar panel company in San Bernardino? We have some pointers for you. Look for these main factors when choosing a company to install your solar panels.
- Expertise: Your solar installer should have expertise in the solar industry. A company with expertise means they’ve been established for more than a few years and have thousands of installations under their belt. Another thing to be on the lookout for is if the solar company has roofing experience. It’s good to know the company handling your solar installation for your house’s roof knows their way around roofs.
- Credentials: A reputable solar installation company will have all of the necessary licenses, insurance policies, and credentials needed for all areas they operate in. They should be listed on their website and easy to find. A company with all credentials will meet all of the state standards and is certified as a legitimate business.
- Reputation: Reading solar company reviews is a great place to start. Keep an eye out for companies that respond to their customer reviews and respond in a professional and timely manner. Companies that care about their customers will be helpful and thankful to their customers. Another bonus is to look for a solar company that has won awards and been named in the top of their industry.
- Warranties: Warranties are a very important factor when considering solar installation companies. Many solar companies do not have reliable warranties. When buying an expensive system, you want to protect your investment with warranties and knowing you’re backed up by the company for years to come.
Solar Panel Quote for San Bernardino
If you’re ready to take the next step, or even if you’re considering what it would take to get you there, contact a Solar Sales Specialist at ADT Solar. We install solar and roofs in San Bernardino and surrounding areas. Contact us today to see if we service your area and get a free customized solar quote.Free Solar Quote
See What Our Customers Are Saying
Each experience we’ve had with SunPro Solar from the initial quote , install, even until today almost one year after install on a service call has been a very professional and pleasant experience. The customer service has been impeccable. The solar panels has also been a great cost savings.
– D Harris
May 10, 2021
*Tax and credits or incentives including those provided by federal, state, or local governments may change or end. This can impact the amount of money you might save. Consult a tax professional to understand any tax liability or eligibility for any tax credits that may result from the purchase of your solar system.
**If you have taxable income and own the system, you may qualify for the federal investment tax credit (ITC). It is your responsibility to determine your eligibility and to apply. Consult a qualified tax professional for assistance and details.