Solar Panels in Fresno, CA
If you live in Fresno or any of the surrounding areas, you may have heard about solar panels from your neighbors. Solar energy is expanding rapidly throughout California in the last several years.
But what are the benefits of going solar in Fresno?
Let’s go through some of the best reasons going solar in Fresno is a great investment.
Are Solar Panels Worth It in Fresno?
Did you know that California is one of the best places in the country to go solar. Here’s why:
- California is the nation’s leader when it comes to solar power.
- California has over one million solar installations, the largest number in the nation.
- California ranks 1st in the nation in terms of total installed solar capacity at 28,471 MW.
- California has the highest percentage of electricity generated from solar (over 22%).
- California is first in the national growth projection of solar energy (SEIA.org).
- California is also the nation leader in blackouts, with over 4,297 blackouts within the last decade. (2018 Eaton’s Blackout Tracker research)
Here are even more reasons that going solar in Fresno is worth it:
- Electricity prices. California energy prices are around 29% higher than the national average, with an upward trend over the last decade. In comparison to the rest of the nation, the change in California electric prices over the years soared well above the rest of the nation.
- Sunshine. California, on average, has plenty of year-round sunshine that can be converted to energy. With around 275 days per year of sunny days, California is a prime location in the U.S. for installing solar panels.
- Blackouts. California has the most blackouts in the nation, clocking in over 4,000 in the last decade, and climbing (Eaton).
- Solar mandate. As of 2020, solar is now mandatory on every new home built in California. Don’t be left in the dark when everyone else on your block is harnessing the power of the sun, especially during all those blackouts.
- Clean environment. Renewable energy is good for the environment: it produces no waste in the air, oceans and land like oil and gas. California is one of the most progressive states in the nation for renewable energy policies, and ranks second only after Washington for installed renewable energy capacity.
- Advanced technology. As with any other technology, the more it develops, the more affordable it becomes. The solar technology field has made huge advancements over the last few decades, making it more reliable, affordable and more appealing than ever. Whether it’s the newest solar panel technology, or the Enphase Encharge and Tesla Powerwall batteries, you’ll be satisfied with your purchase. Choosing a solar installer (like ADT Solar), who only uses the latest technology with the most reputable brands will give you peace of mind in your investment. Plus, it puts the power in your hands with advanced app monitoring technologies.
- Solar incentives. California has state-wide solar programs that make the investment of going solar worthwhile. Take advantage of local utility rebates, the 26% federal tax credit and net metering: a program that allows you to sell back your unused energy to the utility company. Make the utility company your customer and reduce or zero out your monthly electricity bill.
Cost of Solar Panels in Fresno CA
What about the cost of solar panels in Fresno? The good news is that going solar is cheaper than ever before, as the cost of solar has drastically gone down in the last ten years.
Not only that but you can look at the purchase of a solar panel system in California as an investment since the price of electricity is significantly higher than most states and continues to rise every year.
There are a lot of factors involved in the price of a solar PV system, and it’s best to discuss it with a qualified Solar Sales Specialist to understand the true cost of going solar for your particular needs. Some of the factors involved in determining the price can include the size of your home, your particular energy needs, how much sun your area gets, and so on.
You can secure your electricity prices when you produce your own solar energy and you won’t have to worry about the unpredictable future of energy prices in California. And once your system is paid off, you’ll be making money due to a program called net metering (NEM) in which you sell back your excess energy to the utility company. Learn more about NEM here.
Fresno Solar Incentives, Rebates, & Tax Credits
If you’re looking for the best incentives for going solar in Fresno, we’ve got you covered. There are plenty of financial reasons for going solar on top of playing your part for a cleaner environment.
Some of the incentives that make solar a good investment in California are: the Federal Solar Tax Credit, state-wide net metering, property tax exemptions and an increase in your home’s value. Let’s find out more.
California Net Metering (NEM) for Fresno
If you’re wondering about Fresno solar rebates, you’re not alone. While Fresno county doesn’t have its own solar rebate program, the utility companies of California participate in the state-wide program of net metering.
NEM 2.0 is California’s generous net metering program, which is part of the reason you’ll start to see the investment in your solar panel purchase This was put in place in 2016 by the California Public Utility Commission.
It works like this: for every kilowatt-hour (kWh) of solar electricity you feed into your utility company’s grid, you get a bill credit for one kWh of utility-generated electricity. This means that with the right size solar system, you can drastically reduce, zero out, or come out with a negative electricity bill each month.
If you live in Fresno, you’re most likely using PG&E for your energy. PG&E has a great net metering program, you can learn more about it here.
Federal Solar Tax Credit
The best solar incentive available in Fresno, and the rest of the nation, is the Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC) offered by the United States federal government. This federal tax credit is available to California home and business owners and offers a generous 26% credit of the entire solar system cost, including a battery system.
The 26% tax credit applies as long as the home solar system is installed by December 31, 2022. Starting in 2023, the value of the tax credit will step down to 22%. After 2023, the tax credit for residential solar ends.
Solar Panels and the Value of Your Home in California
Not only do solar panels save you money, they also add value to your home.
On average, solar panels add $20 of value for every $1 you save on your electric bill. Translation: for every $100 saved on your bill = $2,000 additional value to your home. (This is according to a comprehensive report done by the US Department of Energy and National Renewable Energy Laboratory.)
Solar panels help your home sell for more.
Another study (Department of Energy and Berkeley Laboratory) showed that homes with solar panels fetched a higher asking price than those without. About $4/watt, which comes out to be around $15,000 for residential, depending on your home and solar system.
And, help your home sell faster.
In addition, solar panels can help your property spend less time on the market. In another study done by NREL, they found that solar properties earned about 17% more at closing, in addition to selling 20% faster.
Property Tax Exemption for Solar Panels in California
Another great reason to go solar for California residents is that solar panels are completely property tax exempt. That means that, unlike some other states, you can add solar panels to your home and get all the benefits without having to pay additional property taxes.
(Under the Property Tax Exclusion for Solar Energy Systems, 100% of the assessed value of the solar system is exempt from the homeowner’s property taxes.)
Solar Batteries and Protection from outages in California
With the issues of climate change causing more wildfires and natural disasters in California, you may be looking for peace of mind when it comes to blackouts. In addition to natural disasters, Public Safety Power Shutoff (PSPS) events are becoming more common, leading to scheduled power outages that will leave your home in the dark.
Residents of California (the Blackout Queen) should be on the hunt for alternatives rather than reliance on their utility grid for power. The answer is a solar panel system with a solar battery backup like the Enphase Encharge and Tesla Powerwall.
There is even more good news for California when it comes to solar batteries: the state of California offers a generous incentive for adding a battery to your solar system.
How do you take advantage of this incentive? Talk to a Solar Sales Specialist about your options.
How do I choose a solar company in Fresno?
Curious about how to find the right solar panel company in Fresno? We have some pointers for you. Look for these main factors when choosing a company to install your solar panels.
- Expertise: Your solar installer should have expertise in the solar industry. A company with expertise means they’ve been established for more than a few years and have thousands of installations under their belt. Another thing to be on the lookout for is if the solar company has roofing experience. It’s good to know the company handling your solar installation for your house’s roof knows their way around roofs.
- In-house Team: Many solar companies subcontract their installation employees. Solar companies that use in-house installers are much more reliable and experienced.
- Credentials: A reputable solar installation company will have all of the necessary licenses, insurance policies, and credentials needed for all areas they operate in. They should be listed on their website and easy to find. A company with all credentials will meet all of the state standards and is certified as a legitimate business.
- Reputation: Reading solar company reviews is a great place to start. Keep an eye out for companies that respond to their customer reviews and respond in a professional and timely manner. Companies that care about their customers will be helpful and thankful to their customers. Another bonus is to look for a solar company that has won awards and been named in the top of their industry.
- Warranties: Warranties are a very important factor when considering solar installation companies. Many solar companies do not have reliable warranties. When buying an expensive system, you want to protect your investment with warranties and know you’re backed up by the company for years to come.
Fresno Solar Installation: ADT Solar, Trusted Solar Company in Fresno
Since 2008, ADT Solar has a proven history and reputation for providing quality service and was ranked #2 for 2021 Solar Power World’s Top Residential Solar Installer in the United States. We are proud to offer some of the best warranties you can find in the solar industry and only use products that offer the same.
- 25 Year Labor Warranty
- 25 Year Production Guarantee
- 25 Year Solar Panel Manufacturer Warranty
- 25 Year Enphase Microinverter Warranty
- Thousands of happy homeowners
- Free Home Energy Audit
- Roof replacement experts
Solar Panel Quote for Fresno
If you’re ready to take the next step, or even if you’re considering what it would take to get you there, contact a Solar Sales Specialist at ADT Solar. We install solar and roofs in Fresno and surrounding areas. Contact us today to see if we service your area and get a free customized solar quote.Free Solar Quote
See What Our Customers Are Saying
I would definitely recommend Sunpro Solar Energy. Everyone I worked with was very helpful and willing to go the extra mile. Great experience!
– Matt T
May 5, 2021