No, HOAs cannot deny the installation of solar panels in Texas. However, they are allowed to place restrictions on the solar energy systems you choose to install. If your homeowner’s association (HOA) is trying to come down hard on you, look into the Texas Solar Rights Act. This legislation protects your right to install a solar energy system and highlights the provisions your HOA might be allowed to place on your solar installation.
Here’s a glance at a few reasons why a Texas HOA might deny a solar panel installation:
- If the solar panel installation is found to be illegal or violates public health and safety
- If the solar panel installation is on common property that is owned or maintained by the association
- If solar panels extend above the roofline, are not parallel to the roofline, or do not conform to the slope of the roof
- If ground-mounted solar energy devices are installed taller than the fence around them
- If the solar energy device is installed in a way that voids its warranties
- If any frames, wiring or piping are not silver, bronze or black
- If solar panels are installed without the HOA’s approval
It’s best to toe the line when it comes to your solar panel installation. Say “Howdy!” to one of our Solar Energy Specialists today for some help on the reins of your installation.
Texas Solar Rights
The Texas Solar Rights Act, specifically House Bill 362, prevents HOAs from denying solar panel installations outright. This means if your HOA is telling you, “No!” to solar, they better have a good reason. This legislation might protect your right to install solar panels on your home, but HOAs still get to determine where and how solar panels are installed. Moreover, you, as the homeowner, still have to follow the procedures specific to your HOA to request the addition of solar panels, as you would any other home improvement.
So, can HOA prevent solar panels in Texas?
No, an HOA cannot prevent solar panels in Texas. However, there are some rules to follow. You should talk to your HOA to find what guidelines you’d have to follow for your solar panel installation and their process for requesting this type of home improvement.
We understand that dealing with an HOA when you want to install solar panels can be daunting. Luckily, we’re here to lend a hand. At ADT Solar, we tackle the time-consuming and often confusing process of getting HOA approval. ADT Solar is a top-notch solar company in Texas, prepared to take care of all the pain points you might face with your solar installation. Our trusted installers are knowledgeable enough to follow HOA guidelines, as well as electric codes. We submit all of the required permits on your behalf and make sure your solar installation is a smooth and easy process.
Whether you’re ready to take the next step, or just want a free consultation to know where you stand, contact us today!
- Texas Solar HOA Flyer – https://www.solarunitedneighbors.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Texas-HOA-1-pager-final.pdf
- Texas Solar Rights – https://programs.dsireusa.org/system/program/detail/4880
- House Bill 362 – https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/82R/billtext/html/HB00362F.HTM
- Texas Property Code § 202.010 – https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PR/pdf/PR.202.pdf